Friday, April 19, 2013

A Response to the Criticism of "The Christian Adoption and Orphan Care Movement"


I want to begin by saying I usually do not enter into debates as they tend to not end with.. how do I say it... much fruit. However, today, I was met with something I feel I cannot be quiet about. In light of the bible and eternity, I do not believe what I have to say matters all that much; but oh how my heart hurts for those that have adopted or know that God has called them to do so. It also hurts for true orphans who have no family to care for them.  I cannot imagine being silent when friends and family are possibly confused with the uprising criticism of the "Christian adoption and orphan care movement."  There is much I can say, but I will direct to Jesus, the bible, and those who have done far more research than I have. I hope and pray it encourages those of us who know in the depths of our hearts that God has chosen us to love and care for the fatherless.


Each time we are critiqued, I believe it is an avenue for us to look at our lives/hearts and examine them. I believe we can take the critiques to the Father and ask Him hard questions about our hearts. We can dive into the Word and re-examine what we have learned. And, lastly, talk it all over with those who care for us. I have done this today regarding adoption, the movement of adoption, and my calling to adopt.

I want to post this article as it says so much of what I would say in response to the recent critiques of this "movement." I think this response (written in 2011 about a particular article, but still holds true today) is very well written and encouraging to true believers who have a call on their lives to adopt.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/aprilweb-only/adoptioncrusade.html?paging=off

I like this quote from the article:

"Christians must always pair compassion with knowledge in caring for orphans, and even an article like "The Evangelical Adoption Crusade" [or book, etc on this subject] is an important means for weighing how best to do so. But it provides no excuse to ignore the cry of the orphan. The world is hurting, and to address this hurt wisely will always come with difficult questions. But we dare not turn from sacrifice and hard decisions and return to comfortable homes and lives simply because the cost and complexity are too great. That was never Jesus' way—and it must not be ours."

I also encourage myself and other adoptive families to know that none of the corruption of adoption is outside of the hand of God. He can turn the heart of any king (Prov 21:1) wherever He so chooses. He can also turn the heart of any corrupt agency/lawyer/middle man, etc. as well. These children (even when trafficked) that have been placed in homes were not taken out of God's hand. Even though we do not understand why He allows the things He allows, or understand all of His ways, we must hold to the truth that He is sovereign.  Nothing can happen without His allowing. Nothing.

The things some agencies and people do in the adoption world are horrific. But our God is King over it all. There is a reason each adopted kid has his or her story, came from where they came from, grew in the womb of whom they grew in, and ended up in the country and home they are now.

I am very encouraged by Joseph's words to his brothers and continue to remember them in my heart, "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good..." (Gen 50:20).  He works all things together for our good and His glory. I take an incredible amount of comfort in His sovereignty. He opens and closes the womb, He opens and closes doors for each adoption. I believe it with all of my heart.

I am praying for all of those whom God is truly calling to adopt children who have no family or who's families refuse to care for them. I am praying against confusion for adopting families and praying for specific direction. I am praying for each kid who has been adopted, that God will draw their hearts to Himself and they will receive comfort in the only Father who will never abandon them. I pray for every family who has adopted. Lastly, I will continue to pray against corruption in this "adoption movement."

I am trusting and resting in the arms of a sovereign God, as there is no other place for me to receive true comfort. His is so good.

Kimberly



1 comment:

  1. It makes sense that Satan would oppose adoption, and therefore use the world to condemn it, but for some reason, I had NO idea there was this much criticism out there against Christian adoption. Wow. Thank you for sharing. I like knowing what we're up against, and how to better pray. :)

    ReplyDelete